Serving on a City Commission
Citizen involvement is an essential ingredient for strong local government. The City of Meridian promotes citizen involvement by inviting residents to serve on a variety of commissions, committees, and councils designed to assist the City in its information gathering and deliberative processes, several of which are also delegated with decision-making authority. It is the duty of each commission’s membership to provide feedback and direction to the Mayor, City Council, and City Departments on a wide array of community issues.
Things to consider before applying:
· Members of these groups serve on a voluntary basis and receive no financial compensation.
· Participation requires a significant time commitment (approximately 10-15 hours per month).
· Some groups have a limited number of members; in these instances a vacancy must exist in order for a new applicant to be considered.
· After all applications have been received and reviewed, the Mayor makes an appointment which must be confirmed by the Meridian City Council.
· Fulfill the residency requirements stated in the Call for Applications.
· Not be employed by the City of Meridian.
· Not serve on more than one City board or commission at the same time.
How to Apply for a Vacant Position:
To apply for a vacant position, please submit the following items to the Mayor’s Office by 5:00 p.m. on the date of closing. (Address: Meridian City Hall, 33 E. Broadway Avenue, Meridian, ID 83642)
· Completed and signed application form (available by clicking here)
· Letter of interest sent to Mayor Tammy de Weerd, 33 E. Broadway Avenue, Meridian, ID 83642
· Up-to-date resume listing education and relevant work and volunteer experiences
For Additional Information
Application forms and additional information are also available through the City Clerk’s Office, located on the first floor of Meridian City Hall at 33 E. Broadway Avenue in Meridian, or by calling (208) 888-4433.